"Whether we are filled with joy or grief, our angels are close to us, speaking to our hearts of God's love."

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

January 25, 2011

It's been forever and a day since my last Benjamin update, but there's not much to write about. It's hard for me to see the changes in him because I'm with him practically every hour of every day. I really need to start taking weekly videos of him so I can look back and actually see the progress he's making because I think it'll make me feel better and maybe a little more hopeful.

Right now his eyes are worrying me. They're big and beautiful, but he's just not using them! I have been going crazy trying to figure out how he could go from tracking objects and his mobile months ago when he was in the hospital, to a blank stare. I was talking to his Perkins School teacher and we realized the deterioration in his vision occurred shortly after he started the neurological meds. It makes total sense. The drugs are used to "calm" the brain and reduce irritability and spasticity, but they probably don't calm only certain areas of the brain... so I'm convinced they're impacting his visual development. We actually saw Benjamin's ophthalmologist today and he said it's not out of the realm of possibility. He said he's seen adult vision affected by these meds and there's no reason not to believe they're related to some degree to Benjamin's vision problems. We have an appointment with Neurology on Thursday and I really want to see him weaned from these drugs. I know his neurologists are going to be hesitant about taking him off the drugs because they also have the benefit of preventing seizures. At least we can argue that Benjamin has been less irritable, which would be one pro for weaning the Neurontin. He still has his moments, don't get me wrong, but the time it takes to soothe him is getting shorter. His EI therapist saw him today and she said she saw a difference so I know it's not in my head. I will admit, I do have moments of insanity, but this was not one of them!

Quite a few people have been asking me how his Renal appointment went and we know the same now as we did before the appointment. I thought he would be getting an ultrasound. Never happened. It was never even scheduled! We basically had an appointment to meet yet another doctor who would give us another possible medical issue to worry about. We were told because Benjamin had, and may still have, kidney stones, he could be susceptible to getting them over and over again. This doctor also said that has the potential to suffer kidney failure down the road given his medical history. I was told to have some concern, but to not be "overly concerned." Gee thanks. They tried to get a urine sample, but most of it ended up on my pants because the bag they put on him wasn't on correctly. I should mention that happened AFTER I was puked on. They wanted to get a blood test the same time as the urine sample so they were kind enough to give us our own bags and told us when we came back for our Complex Care appointment, we could give all the samples then. So basically I left that day with no answers, a cranky baby, throw up in my hair and down my shirt, and urine all over my pants. Thankfully my wonderful dad was with me because I think I would have screamed and cursed (well, I actually did, but he was there to keep me company and listen to me rant and rave).

1 comment:

  1. Jackie,

    I've been vomited on more times than I can count this week! It's not pleasant. Thanks for the update, and know that we continue to pray daily for Benjamin and your whole family. (We are asking for the intercession of St. Lucy, St. Philomena, and St. Raphael... all good friends to have praying for you in heaven!)

    God bless --

    Cheryl Hess